Mt. Mitchell United Methodist Church is seeking a part time organist/pianist (about 10 – 12 hours a week) to provide music for Sunday services, Wednesday Evening rehearsals and special services (ie: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday and/or Good Friday and Christmas Evening Services as well as Funerals). This candidate must be able to work with our children’s choir and the Handbell Choir as well as our Adult Choir. You will be required to attend quarterly Worship Committee meetings and collaborate with the Pastor and Choir Director; have flexibility with regard to work schedule, direction and assignments and must strive to assist on finding new ways of using music to continue to Glorify God. Appropriate degree in music or its equivalent work experience preferred. Send your resume along with a cover letter, with desired salary (a requirement) to Mt. Mitchell United Methodist Church, c/o SPRC Chair, 6001 Old Salisbury Concord Road, Kannapolis NC 28083 or email to email@example.com.
This week’s recipe comes from the cookbook, Heavenly Delights, produced by the Mt. Mitchell United Methodist Women [©1990]. Our choice ‘deliciousness’ was submitted by Terrie Bebber.
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 16 oz semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup pecans
Whip egg whites until peaks form. Gradually add sugar as you keep whipping. Fold in chocolate and nuts by hand. Drop by teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet into preheated 350 degree oven. Shut oven door and turn off oven immediately. Leave 3 hours or overnight.
Snowflake Cookies – .pdf
Original Article: Bishop Announcement for Wesley Heritage Tour
Bishop Larry M. Goodpaster has announced his plan to lead pastors, church leaders, and other interested persons throughout Western North Carolina on a Wesley Heritage Tour to take place in early to mid-July of 2014. Participants will visit sites important to the birth and development of Methodism as they travel to London, Bristol, Bath, Worchester, Gloucester, Birmingham, Coventry, Epworth, Stratford, and Oxford. A brochure detailing information, including costs, is being developed and will be available in April. Information will also be shared during the Educational Opportunities Breakfast at the Western North Carolina Annual Conference in June.
Interested persons are asked to contact the Rev. Dr. Thomas R. Sigmon, project coordinator, right away, firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone, 704.532.7167, who will provide information, including brochures, as soon as they are available. Clergy or church leaders should also contact Dr. Sigmon about ways of earning credit toward their travel costs for this trip. This is the first conference supported Wesley Heritage Tour since 2002.
On June 25, 1913, after five years of planning and development, Lake Junaluska hosted its first events. At the time, Lake Junaluska consisted of Stuart Auditorium, which was an open-air structure with a dirt-covered floor, a man-made lake, and a small number of homes.
During the past 100 years, Lake Junaluska has grown into a much beloved retreat center and residential community. Today, Lake Junaluska looks to a bright future as a place of Christian hospitality, where lives are transformed through renewal of soul, mind, and body.
The Centennial will open with Stories by the Lakeshore with Donald Davis, whose father, aunts and uncles were all at the 2013 opening ceremony. Davis is a graduate of Duke Divinity School and a retired Methodist minister.
Lake Junaluska will host a series of signature Centennial events, including the Centennial Homecoming Week, June 30 – July 7.
Week activities include:
- The Centennial Concert Series, featuring Balsam Range, the Lake Junaluska Singers, and the Lake Junaluska Singers Alumni.
- Historical Lake crossing re-enactments, as well as tours of the Lake Junaluska train depot, historic homes across Lake Junaluska, and the Lake Junaluska gardens.
- Lake Junaluska Family Olympics. Activities include Field Day relays and activities, water competitions, and a Centennial scavenger hunt.
- Replication of the 1913 opening worship service photo in front of Stuart Auditorium. All are welcome to be a part of this historic photo.
- Annual July 4th festivities, including our annual parade (“Lake Junaluska Through the Years”), BBQ picnic with bluegrass band, Lake Junaluska evening performance, and fireworks.
- Lake Junaluska Centennial reunions, including the Lake Junaluska Singers Alumni Reunion, Lake Junaluska Staff Reunions (‘70s and 80s, and ‘90s and 2000s).
- Lake Junaluska charity golf tournament. All proceeds will support the Lake Junaluska Annual Fund.
- Special showing of The Swan, starring Alec Guiness and Grace Kelly. Portions of The Swan were filmed at the Lake Junaluska train depot.
Upcoming BLOOD Drive this MON. April 15!
3:00 pm – 7:00 pm at Mt Mitchell Methodist Church (corner of Old Salisbury-Concord Road & Lane St)
Come out and feel good about helping someone in need…..